Get Over Yourself ... We're Only Disabled Part 24

Get Over Yourself ... We Are Only Disabled 


Chapter 24


Queuing In A Wheelchair 


When I am out in a shop, people sometimes offer me their place to help me get through quicker and with putting my shopping through the till.  I understand that people are trying to be nice and they think they are being friendly but I just smile and say “That’s okay, I can wait in the queue”. 


I think when people are out and see a person in a wheelchair, they can be over polite and think they are doing us a favour.  We are all taught to wait and take our turn, this shouldn't be taken away from us because we are disabled.  I feel that being in a wheelchair doesn't give me any more right to be in the front of the queue than anyone else.  I feel that people think we need special attention because we are disabled but we are no different to anyone else.


It is good that many shops and help desks are now wheelchair accessible, so are easier for wheelchair users to use.  However, we can still sometimes use ‘normal’ tills and help desks, depending on the height of our wheelchairs.  I feel that customer service in shops has got a lot better these days in supporting people in wheelchairs and with additional needs.


Some shopping centres and nationwide shops, like Tesco, offer mobility aids to support people to be able to shop.  The shop will have symbols so, for example, if the person is deaf they can use the symbols to ask for assistance. 


In my opinion, I think people need to be more aware of people in wheelchairs when they are shopping.  However, we understand that when we are out in our wheelchairs, we need to be careful of other people that are shopping too.


To conclude this chapter, I think that people are so kind when they see someone with a disability and really want to support them. This is a lovely gesture and as a society, we naturally want to help others that may need a bit more assistance. Accessibility has got so much better over the years, allowing those that require assistance to feel excepted and valued.


Thank you for reading, unfortunately this is my last chapter of the book, however I have wrote an acknowledgments page and I will share this with you in my next blog.I really hope you have enjoyed reading my book, it has been wonderful experience to be able to share it with you all. Please let me know what you thought of it and I really hope to be able to publish it one day!

 

Abbie x   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Over Yourself ... We're Only Disabled! Part 1

Slowly approaching the next stage of life

Up Movement, The Adult Cerebral Palsy Movement