Up Movement, The Adult Cerebral Palsy Movement

Up Movement, The Adult Cerebral Palsy Movement

Hi my lovely readers, hope you are well.

I know after I finished posting my book, I wasn't sure on what to post on my blog. So I decided to have a little break to think about what I could post about but I really wanted to come back with a special idea for my blogs, I wanted to talk about what is interesting me lately.

I attend a Zoom meeting each week with a lovely organisation called UP movement, a group set up by an amazing lady called Emma and then another brilliant lady called Mirriam. Emma has Cerebral Palsy herself, so that in its self is really lovely as it gives others a sense of achievement and encouragement, just to learn about her journey with Cerebral Palsy. Emma is incredible, she has Cerebral Palsy, however she is a wife and a mother, she is the founder of Up Movement and a strong advocate and a voice for people with Cerebral Palsy.    The people who attend are adults with Cerebral Palsy, so this is great as we can meet others with the same condition as ourselves, converse ideas and just generally support each other.  Cerebral Palsy can affect people in different ways, therefore it is really interesting to learn about how others live with their type of CP.  
    
On our zoom calls, we discuss various topics surrounding CP such as, employment, independence, getting help with everyday adult life like who to get in touch with if you need assistance with something, such as needing a advocate or getting information or help. It is very insightful to have these useful sessions because we get our toolbox of information topped up. It also gives us a chance to ask questions that we may not know where to take them in our local authority, so this helps us to get our questions answered, or get pointed in the right direction. 

Most weeks we have speaker sessions, so this means we will have a guest speaker on to talk about their roles of work or something that may have affected their lives, such as a disability or taken a bumpy road to get into their line of work etc. We've had a wide range of professionals and people on the calls over time. Other weeks (once a month etc) we have a community chat, these aren't recorded for social media and other platforms, these are a freely chat sessions, no agenda and people are allowed bring conversations about whatever they find appropriate to chat to their peers about. The conversation can change quite quickly in these calls but being aware of other peoples thoughts, feelings and opinions.  
 
Doing these calls, allows me to learn about what services are out there for adults like myself with Cerebral Palsy. I have learned a lot over the year that I have been attending these calls. I know these calls are just there for people, they are free and I don't have to attend every one, but having the call weekly just gives me a boost and a positive feeling for the rest of the week. I always find the topics interesting and I get a lot out of these calls. 

There is a big gap missing in society for people with CP after they turn a adult, so Up Movement's manifestation is to help to people to find a suitable and easier way to transition to children's services to adult services and iron out the problems on the way. They understand that as people come out of the support they had as a child can be stressful, so they try to help with questions or issues that people may have. Also their goal is to stop Cerebral Palsy being underlined as a childhood condition, and help society be aware that CP is a lifelong condition. 

This is why Emma built on her dreams and created UP Movement, because having Cerebral Palsy herself, she knew how limited support and services were out there for over 18s living with the same disability as herself. Emma knew how difficult it was to get any type of help or services after the person comes out of the support as a child.  So this is how Up Movement was founded because Emma knew there were a gap in society for adults living with Cerebral Palsy,  and her mission was to allow disabled adults to feel part of a community. I feel that she has achieved her goal to help many adults living with Cerebral Palsy. 

I really enjoy being a regular member and supporter of UP Movement, it has taught me a lot about the outside world and how I can be supported as an adult with Cerebral Palsy. I feel confident enough to approach any of the team if I need support with anything regarding having CP.  

I really hope you have enjoyed my blog and learning about an incredible charity.

Thank you for reading,

Abbie  
x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Over Yourself ... We're Only Disabled! Part 1

Slowly approaching the next stage of life