Get Over Yourself... We're Only Disabled! Part 7

 Get Over Yourself ... We're Only Disabled



Hey my lovely readers, Happy New Year! Hope you are well. I took a small break from these blogs, but now New Year, New Start! Enjoy chapter 7.

Chapter 7 

Independence When Shopping 


People who have a disability may find it difficult to go into a shop and purchase goods. They may need assistance to support them in the shop - this might be in the form of being supported by a carer or someone who works for the company.  It might just mean that they need help with pushing a trolley around the shop, passing an item down because it is too high for them to reach, or putting shopping onto the belt. 


People with disabilities, have the same opportunity as any other person to be able to shop and buy what they want, so the building should have suitable access for people to be able to get in and around the shop easily.  Shops must follow the Equality Act 2010 to ensure that disabled people can access the building.  I think this is a really powerful act because as a shop is a public place, it must be accessible for all customers even if they are disabled or not; it must be suitable to allow everyone with all needs to be able to use the service.  I believe that now all new buildings must be installed with a ramp making it inclusive to all customers.

  

Going shopping can be difficult for some people when they are in a wheelchair or have other additional needs, so putting support in place will help the person be able to shop more easily.  I think that shops need to be more aware of the disabilities that are out there and make their shop more accessible and inclusive for everyone to use.  I see that shops are becoming wider and bigger for the public to be able to move around more easily.  Also, shops are using flooring that is flat and smoother to drive or push a wheelchair on, which makes it a lot simpler to be able to use a wheelchair on. 


Sometimes when I am shopping, I need support to retrieve items from the shelves and when I am at the till I sometimes ask for heavy or large items to be put in a bag to help me so I'm not struggling.  I think that people that work in shops are becoming more aware of disabled people and what type of support they may need. 


Shopping can be a difficult task for a person who is disabled.  However, we do try our best to get over the challenges and get on with whatever will support us to be as independent as possible.  I like being independent when I go shopping as this allows me to feel confident and self-reliant.  When I do this, I feel that I am not only helping myself but I am portraying a positive message about disabilities.  


Overall, I believe that shops should be more accessible for people with additional needs to allow people in wheelchairs or an impairment to shop more freely and independently. Shopping can be a enjoyable experience and with help or independently, disabled people should have this luxury. Speaking in my experience, I love shopping and I like to be independent when I am in a shop.


Going back to the title of this chapter, people can shop and   have their independence when shopping if they are able to. Shops are becoming more accessible for people with a disability or have other additional needs i.e installing lower tills, options for deaf people/ hard of hearing, wider doorways etc, all of these things can assist disabled people in shops to be independent.


 Thanks you for reading this chapter. I hope you enjoyed reading!


Abbie 

xx


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Over Yourself ... We're Only Disabled! Part 1

Slowly approaching the next stage of life

Get Over Yourself...We're Only Disabled! Part 25