Get Over Yourself ...We're Only Disabled Part 2

 Get Over Yourself... We're Only Disabled 


Hey my lovely readers... hope you are well.


Another week and another chapter is here, below is chapter two 'Say hello to us rather than stare at us'.  This was quite difficult to write, as I didn't want to scare people or tell people off for being rude or ignorant but I felt that this was important to write about.  As I say below, I am not blaming people for staring or asking questions as this gives them a chance to learn and understand different disabilities. I hope you enjoy chapter two! 



Chapter 2

Say hello to us rather than stare at us


This is something I see most days. It saddens me to say it but when I, or other disabled people, go out in a public place, people walk past and stare or give us a funny look like we shouldn't be out.  Well, that’s how it makes me feel.


I always thought that it was only children that stare at people like us because they are just being inquisitive but I’ve had adults stare or give me a look as if to say “what are you doing?” or “why is she on her own?” This happens particularly when I'm trying to be independent in a shop or if I'm waiting for someone.  I like going out and doing things on my own but sometimes people look at me like I shouldn't be on my own or I look lost.  I think over the years, people have become more accepting of people with disabilities but even today, people are still unsure of disabilities and just stare. 


When people stare, it’s like they don't know what to do. Unfortunately  people aren't aware of the different forms of disabilities that are out there. For  instance, some people might have a disfigurement or they might speak very loudly due to their disability but they are still human.  We are just like anyone else.  For example, we might enjoy going shopping and our favourite food might be pizza, so what is the difference in that?  Just because we’re in a wheelchair, we are entitled to do everything someone else that isn't disabled does, so what is so strange and makes people stare? 


Next time you come across someone with a disability, just give them a smile because they are only doing exactly what you are and just doing their bit for society.  Society wouldn't be as diverse as it is today if we weren't accepting of others and valued everyone, just as they are. 


Sometimes people stare at a person with a disability but have no thought about offering them support.  It’s like people wonder why they are doing what they are doing.  It’s not the person’s fault but sometimes people panic about dealing with a situation, including someone with a disability and maybe they just stare.  Through no fault of their own, people get on with their daily lives and are not aware of people with disabilities.  They might accidentally get in a disabled person’s way but rather than trying to help them, they just look at them, not knowing what to do. For example, they know that they might be in a blind person’s way but because they’re in their own world, they might look at them funnily then realise that they are blind and get out of their way.  Whatever disability somebody has, just treat them as a normal person - don't stare at them because at the end of the day we are all humans.


People stare and make assumptions about disabled people.  They may stare and make comments about someone without even knowing them.  It’s not always that people are trying to be unfair or cruel, some people don't know how to approach a disabled person and they may stare.  I don't think it’s anyone’s fault but sometimes people say things or give people a strange look because they don’t live with it, so they don't know what to say or do. 


If you are really not sure what to do when you are faced with someone with a disability, my suggestion to you is to just smile.  A smile can change a person’s mood in an instant.  If you show that you are positive, it can make someone else feel positive!


Thank you for reading chapter 2. I am enjoying posting my book on here and thank you for all of your lovely comments. Look out for chapter 3 next Friday!


Abbie xx

 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Over Yourself ... We're Only Disabled! Part 1

A Year Of Adaptive CrossFit

My Time With Whizz-Kidz