World Cerebral Palsy Day- 6th October!



                   






Hey my lovely readers, hope you are well.


On the 6th October, it is World Cerebral Palsy Day, the day is to celebrate people who has Cerebral Palsy and try to help the world be a more diverse and accessible place to live in.  I think World Cerebral Palsy Day is a great way for people to learn and understand Cerebral Palsy as it is spreading awareness and positivity. Also it can connect more people with Cerebral Palsy together and this is an amazing opportunity to share their stories about Cerebral Palsy. 

 I love having Cerebral Palsy as its apart of me and I know I sometimes think about the 'what ifs', but I believe my Cerebral Palsy has helped me  make the decisions that I have made me who I am today. I have achieved so much more than I was expected to and I am proud that I can be quite independent despite my disability. My Cerebral Palsy is a part of me but it doesn't define who I am or what I dream of doing. I think people can achieve their dreams with hard work and success. 

Approximately there are 17 million people in the world that has a form of Cerebral Palsy, there are many types of Cerebral Palsy and they are caused by a brain damage that can happen before, during or after birth. Cerebral Palsy is caused by a lack of oxygen getting to the brain and if these parts of the brain is starved of oxygen this can cause Cerebral Palsy.  

Facts on Cerebral Palsy

  • Cerebral Palsy can cause the person to develop slower 
  • Can cause the change of being unable to walk unaided
  • Have issues concerning speech.
  • Some people may have very tight or very loose muscles 
  • Can have balance and movement issues.
  • It is a physical Disability.

World Cerebral Palsy Day was created by the Cerebral Alliance in 2012 to bring families, supporters and organisations together across from more then 100 countires to raise awareness and support people with cerebral palsy to have the same opportunities as anyone else.

Ways you can celebrate

People can mark the day by wearing something green and share the important reasons as to why we need to spread awareness and make the world more accessible. I think this is good as people always love to learn about other people  and maybe they haven't been directly involved with someone with Cerebral Palsy before, so the day can teach people about the disability.  

Sometimes I find my Cerebral Palsy holds me back from doing what others are doing, but I always try to think of what I have achieved and set my next goal and work towards it. I love working towards my goals as it gives me independence and something exciting to work towards. Things might take me a lot longer to do than it might take others, but with lots of patience and practice, I am able to become better and stronger at tasks. I sometimes think that things are just too hard and maybe want to give up but I need to keep going with it, people with Cerebral Palsy may benefit from repetition to become stronger and be able to complete tasks more controllably and confidently. 

I am extremely proud to be one of the 17 million unique people that has Cerebral Palsy and I always love to support other people and their disability. Cerebral Palsy can look different in each person, some people can walk, some people are in wheelchairs and/or may have speech difficulties but we are all the same deep down. We all have a brain, heart and feelings and we can all contribute to society.  

Cerebral Palsy Day is a good opportunity for people with the disability to celebrate and be proud of their Cerebral Palsy. Also it gives others a chance to learn about the disability and understand how they can interact and support people with Cerebral Palsy.

I hope this has been helpful and informative, and you've learnt more about Cerebral palsy. 

I hope you have enjoyed my blog.

Abbie xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Over Yourself ... We're Only Disabled! Part 1

A Year Of Adaptive CrossFit

My Time With Whizz-Kidz