Get Over Yourself ... We're Only Disabled Part 3

 Get Over Yourself... We're Only Disabled


Hey my lovely readers, hope you are well.

We are back for another chapter, chapter three is about speech. People who has a disability may also have a speech impairment. This can mean they have many different ways to communicate which supports them to be a part of society and allows them to have their say and have a conversation with people around them and in the community.   I hope you enjoy this chapter!


Chapter 3


Ask us to repeat what we’ve said rather than guess


People diagnosed with a physical or learning disability may also have been diagnosed with a speech impairment/ disorder.  These are called Apraxia and Dysarthria speech disorders.  Apraxia is caused by the part of the brain related to speaking being damaged.  Dysarthria is when the muscles of the mouth, face and respiratory system have become weak or tough to move.  This is why people sometimes may find it difficult to understand what someone has said.  If this happens, people need to be patient and could ask the person to repeat themselves.  It is better to ask someone to repeat what they have said rather than guess and get the wrong message.


I have a speech impairment and words can sometimes come out unclear and get misunderstood by people.  I am able to pick up that someone hasn’t understood me if they pause or look confused.  They maybe need to ask me to repeat what I’ve just said or my final destination is to use my IPad.  My strategy is to say it twice, then if I’m still not understood, I type it out on my iPad.  A lot of people with speech difficulties use a speech aid for their whole speech clarity or just for a few odd words that they find difficult to pronounce or come out unclear.  I like it when people take their time to really listen to a person and make a real effort to understand them and have a conversation with them.  This is respecting the person, allowing them to feel valued and understood.


When talking to people with a speech impairment, you will find that the longer you spend with them, focussing on what they’re saying, the clearer they become to you and you’ll start to understand them more easily.  You will start to pick up key words that the person uses regularly and, with your support and encouragement, they will start to pronounce sounds and words in their own time.  Through the effort they put into working on their speech, they’ll start to see their strengths and weaknesses and feel proud of the efforts they’re putting into their work and this will support them in the long term.


Over the years, I have met many people with complications with their speech development and so many of them have made their own way of making themselves heard and understood.  When people know they are not able to communicate through language, they’ll try alternative ways like speech aids, using them in different ways. Different examples of how people use communicators include touch screen, head switches, eye gaze/movements, communication boards and books, communication cards and symbols.  (There must be so many more but I’d rather you read my book than waste time on a long list!)  These can be adapted in any way to be able support their speech, making it easier to get their message across.  This is the nicest way for people to be able to speak to others and be part of their community.  People should encourage the person to use their communicators in the best way to support their speech.  This will help them to feel important, valued and listened too.


Thank you for reading chapter 3, I hope you are enjoying my book so far! See you next Friday for chapter 4.


Abbie xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Over Yourself ... We're Only Disabled! Part 1

A Year Of Adaptive CrossFit

My Time With Whizz-Kidz