My Time With Whizz-Kidz

          My Time With Whizz-Kidz

Hi, my lovely readers, hope you are well.

 After my 26th birthday, I moved on from a wonderful charity that supports children and young people called Whizz-Kidz, as I have grown out of their age bracket. However I couldn’t finish this amazing charity without writing a blog about how great my experience has been over the years and talk about the fantastic support I have been given over the years from the start, whether this is support with equipment or help with work placements. 

I have absolutely loved working the staff and meeting lots of people with similar disabilities as me, as well as learning about different disabilities along the way. 

When I think back on what I have achieved during my time at Whizz-Kidz, I think of the successful work placements which I did face-to-face or online via Zoom. Especially when we were in lockdown, Whizz-Kidz kept me very busy either with a work placement which I completed online, or with a intriguing club on the weekends whether that will be a dance class, arts and crafts or just having a catch up about our week. I really enjoyed doing this online because I could be independent and feel confident because I was in the comfort of my home. 

Even though we came out of lockdown and things went back to normal, Whizz-Kidz understood I work better from home so we carried on with the online placements with an occasional visits to meet the people that I did my placement with. I found this worked for all sides, for me, for Whizz-Kids, my family and the companies that allowed me to complete a work placement with them. My family were very supportive and took me to placements but I found that I could be more independent online. 

Whizz-Kidz has made me feel confident and happy. The work placements has given me a great insight of having a job and given me the taster of being able to work with the support I need to be able to get the placement set up and put all of the adjustments and support in place, to support me to get the experience that I need to help me in the future. 

I have enjoyed working with Whizz-Kidz, I feel really positive when I am busy with a placement or a workshop, these make me feel positive and excited. It allows me to feel responsible and I like that I am learning so much when I do a work placement or a workshop. I like being busy and I feel like I am contributing to the world of work. I feel like I have learnt a lot of helpful information that I can take with me in the future.

Whizz-Kidz is a wonderful charity that does so many fantastic things for young people with a wide range of disabilities and I am very proud to say I have enjoyed my time working with Whizz-Kids.

I hope you have enjoyed this blog, thank you for reading and thank you to Whizz-Kids for letting me write this post.

Abbie xx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Over Yourself ... We're Only Disabled! Part 1

A Year Of Adaptive CrossFit