Starting An Accessible Crossfit


Starting An Accessible CrossFit Class

Hey my lovely readers, hope you are well.

Recently, I have started an accessible CrossFit class once a week called Alternative Movement. I absolutely love it! It is an adaptive gym class once a week for people with disabilities to be able to have a workout and it is lovely to meet people with similar disabilities as it becomes a social group too. It is great to be able to meet up with a group of friends every week and do some great exercises with amazing Trainers, who are brilliant at keeping us working hard and getting fit! 

I thoroughly enjoy the sessions and look forward to it every week. I look forward to work with the trainers and everyone at the class, I always find it hard to make friends so this has given me lots of opportunity to meet lots of people with similar disabilities as me. Its nice as we always work in pairs so this gives me a chance to get to know everyone. Now we have got to know each other we are always in contact with each other and always talking so this has been a lovely way to get to know everyone.

Benefits 

The benefits I have already seen in myself is I'm improving each week whether its a heavier weight or I'm finding a piece of equipment easier to use. I think its helping me benefit both physically and socially. I love having the workout and being in the gym, as well as I'm seeing the benefit socially as I'm meeting people and making new friends. I also enjoy being able to try  new exercises as they've been adapted to being in the wheelchair or in a seating position. My favourite piece of equipment is the skier, its like an adapted rower but you pull down instead of towards you, I feel like I'm improving on this each week. Also I enjoy getting out of my wheelchair and doing exercises on the floor like sit ups and slam balls. 

If you follow me on this blog or on social media, you may know that I can be quite anxious. So starting new things can be stressful for me but the minute I got to there and met everyone I was so at ease and felt a part of the group from the start.  I find I really struggle to get out of my comfort zone and I do get nervous in new situations but I feel that I settled into this group really quickly and I am really enjoying the sessions.

Sessions

The sessions are really enjoyable and rewarding. Working in smaller groups can be helpful as you feel more of a benefit as the trainer can set the program to your capability and disability. This can help as you can get to know the trainer's way of teaching and they can start to work out what's your abilities and any adaptions they need to make to support you and your disability. Sessions are once a week and last an hour. I am really enjoying going and I like to challenge myself every week.

A Few Words From The Head Coach 

I thought I change my writing style up a bit for this blog post and I asked the Head Coach, Craig to write what was his ambition was when setting up the accessible Crossfit and this was his response.  

    "I believe fitness should be for everyone, which is one of the reasons why I started Alternative Movement. After working with individuals with disabilities for many years I discovered a hidden problem, and that problem was,  there isn't enough accessible classes or gyms to cater to those living with disabilities. Don't get me wrong, there is support and many services out there, but nothing mainstream. By using Crossfit methodology within my adaptive classes I have not only been able to create fun, engaging and effective workouts its also given it that "cool factor". I wanted people to come to my classes and feel as though they can achieve anything they put their mind to. A big part of training is not just turning up every week and throwing heavy things around, it's the community and the friends you make along the way, and this is why I'm so passionate about what I do and the impact it can have in peoples lives"  

Thank you Craig for writing this wonderful piece. As shown in this piece of writing, there isn't much out there in terms of fitness for people with disabilities, so I do thank Craig and his lovely team around him that help him to create this bond between a group that has come together because of our disabilities. I agree with him its not just about turning up every week for a workout, it's the friends and being together as a group, supporting each other, cheering each other along. Its been a great support to making friendships too.

I am seeing a benefit from going to Crossfit, its helping me physically and socially. I really look forward to each week, it's really fun and enjoyable sessions.   

I hope you have enjoyed reading this blog as much I have writing it!

Thanks for reading 
Abbie xx


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Over Yourself ... We're Only Disabled! Part 1

A Year Of Adaptive CrossFit

My Time With Whizz-Kidz