New Wheelchair

 New Wheelchair!


Hello to my lovely readers, hope you are well. 


A few weeks ago, I got my new wheelchair! My old one was 5 years old, wasn't working and just very worn and loved, I was using my other wheelchair for everyday use which it was only meant to be for back up so this wasn't the best idea for my posture and it wasn't fitted to suit my needs. So we started to look around for a new one. 

I had my appointment in December to get fitted for the new chair and it was the best service I've ever had. We were so pleased with the level of detail that went into that appointment and how much care was given to me making sure I was happy with my choice for my new wheelchair. I was so excited thinking lets get Christmas out of the way then I'll have my new chair.  
 
5 months later, after lots of waiting and chasing phone calls, as a few parts was ordered from different countries, I finally received my wheelchair, this made me feel really happy and much more independent.

The new wheelchair makes me feel so happy as I feel comfortable and I am sitting straighter so this is helping my back so I'm not trying to lean or curve my back. This makes life so much easier as it helps me to improve my speech and I am sitting better at meal times so this has improved eating and dexterity skills. 

As well as a electric wheelchair, it can be put into manual and I can push myself, this is good as I can work on propelling the wheelchair and if I need to, someone can push too. So it's basically like having 2-in-1 wheelchairs.  I really love having the electric wheelchair as I can have independence but having the manual wheels is good too just in case the wheelchair dies or I'm going somewhere I'm slightly nervous about driving I can push or can be pushed by someone.

The choice of a new wheelchair to a disabled person is like buying a car to others because we need to make lots of decisions as to what would be comfortable as we sit in the chair for the majority of the day so it needs to be suitable.   Another decision is the safety aspect is the make of the wheelchair is safe for the individual. A wheelchair should last a good few years, so it needs to have the capacity to grow with the individual, keeping them safe and giving them the support that they need everyday.    

I am really enjoying having a fresh new wheelchair and it has helped me to get day to day tasks done easier. I feel like my posture has improved and I have maintained some of my independent transfers, this was something I thought I'd loose when I changed different hight and shape of chairs but I surprised myself by being able to quickly learn my transfers again!

Hope you enjoyed reading 

Thanks for reading 
Abbie 
xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Over Yourself ... We're Only Disabled! Part 1

A Year Of Adaptive CrossFit

My Time With Whizz-Kidz