A trip into London in a wheelchair

Hi all, I thought this would be a nice post to share about going to London as a wheelchair user.

A trip into London in a wheelchair 

I spent last weekend in London and I thought i’d share my experience with using my wheelchair in a busy and popular city.

On the Saturday, me and my boyfriend Victor pre-booked the train tickets as we had to book the support at either end to get the ramp put down on the train doors, so I could get on and the train safely. Train lines are great if they get it right, luckily on this trip, they were spot on and we made it into London with a relaxed journey.

I think I was able to get around London well in my wheelchair and was impressed that all black cabs are accessible. It was a lot easier knowing that cabs took wheelchairs so this enabled us to get around and see a lot more.

As London is a busy city with a large amount of people commuting to and from work, visiting people and like us, exploring, I found it got busier at certain times but when it did, we took respite in a restaurant or a coffee shop. This allowed us to get away from the crowds a bit until it quieted down more and I was able to get through less crowds.

 We did look at lots of the attractions around London. I was mostly impressed that the tour bus and a small river boat allowed me to get on in my wheelchair. This was a great experience as we weren't aware of how easy it was to get me in my wheelchair onto these attractions. My favourite was the river boat as it was interesting to see all of the famous landmarks in London. It was nice as it meant we wasn't in the cold looking around at the sights. 

I felt ok driving around in my wheelchair, we did have a few stresses about finding a dropped curb to get back on the pavements and making sure the wheelchair was able to fit in doorways into places, but overall I feel that London is a great place to go in a wheelchair. It wasn't as stressful as some places but there were still a few downers that made it hard to use my wheelchair but overall it was a great place to visit. 

I hope you enjoyed reading my blog.

Abbie
xx





Image may contain: Victor Norman and Abbie Smart, people smiling, sky and outdoor
Add caption

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Over Yourself ... We're Only Disabled! Part 1

A Year Of Adaptive CrossFit

Growing Up With Cerebral Palsy