Finding my feet in the adult world


Hello,


This a blog I wanted to write for a special organisation that matters a lot to me and I thought it would be a good help or an insight for people who may be finding it difficult to find what is the next stage for them in life. I hope this will inspire you in your next change in life. I know a lot of my blogs are based on what is happening at school or college or independence, but I feel that this blog might be relatable to everyone that has a change in their lives, maybe its moving house, moving jobs, entering new relationships etc. Change happens every day all around us and it's all about moving on, letting go of the old and adapting to our new way of living.

We have all been there, it’s coming to that time where a lot of young people disabled or not, are finishing school, college or university and having no idea what their lives will map out for them next.

Finding something to do is especially hard when you are trying to be independent as much as we want to be because we like keeping up with other people our age are doing, it is really tiring when we want to do something like everyone else. However people with disabilities have so many other things in their lives like physio and other activities to help them to become stronger and more independent, this sometimes takes priority and the other things can be hanging over them waiting to be done, its a hard thing to work out what is the best plan and when is right to start working on them.  

I think becoming an adult is a lot harder than when we are children because when we are children a lot of decisions are made for us. When we get older we need to start making some decisions for ourselves, this can be very exciting as we can have our say on what matters to us. However, it can be difficult when we have an added complication of our disability and everything that we would like to is possibly out of our reach.

However, I feel that when we get the right support, we achieve things that we thought wasn't imaginable. I love the incredible things I have done throughout my life but I wouldn't have done these things without the support I needed.

I love being independent as I bet others do too, but without the support, I don't think I would be as independent as I am today.

I feel that I have started to find my feet with how determined I am but I have a long way to go. I am happy with my life and I am looking forward to getting somewhere that I want to be in life.

Thanks 


Abbie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Over Yourself ... We're Only Disabled! Part 1

A Year Of Adaptive CrossFit

Growing Up With Cerebral Palsy