A Year Of Adaptive CrossFit


 A Year Of Adaptive CrossFit 

Hi my lovely readers, I hope you are well. 

I know I have done a blog like this before, but I realised that I have been attending my adaptive CrossFit class for a year now, so I thought about doing a blog post about how I am finding it.   I can't believe it has been a year already, it has a gone so quickly, I have the best time in the sessions and achieved so much in a short space of time, it has been incredible.
   
Over the past year, I have loved going to the adapted classes, I have enjoyed meeting new people with a wide range of disabilities that have become very good friends. Also I have been able to become stronger in my workouts and been able to achieve things that I felt that it wouldn't have been possible, for example, trying out my friends Rollator. This was one my many highlights of the year! All of the sessions has made me feel stronger and more mobile. It has helped me to branch out socially with people with a wide range of disabilities and others that benefit from adaptive training such as people that had strokes or limb differences. I have built such great friendships with everyone and look forward to going every week.

Adaptive CrossFit has been great because all of the coaches are trained to be able to work with a range of different disabilities. They are amazing at adapting the workout to suit our needs or adapting it to introduce new equipment such as walkers or assistive equipment. Working with the coaches gives me the confidence to carry on independently as they give me great encouragement to feel like I am doing well and improving each week.I really enjoy the sessions as everyone gets on so well and we are treated the same with slight adaptions made according to the individuals disability.    

I like attending the classes was it helps me to feel positive and happy. I like going as it gives me a great boost for the rest of the week. I love having a good workout and seeing all of my friends. All of the coaches are extremely helpful and friendly and we all get along very well.

Since I started, I have grown in confidence and feel really happy when I am working out.  I can't remember a session when I didn't laugh or smile my through the workout, there is always something funny or interesting going on. 

As it is a adaptive gym, everyone despite their disability can use all of the equipment as a lot of it can be changed to suit the individual and their needs, like for example the rowers can come apart so a wheelchair user can use it while still sitting in their chair, if they aren't phyisically able to sit on the seat. There are loads adaptions made in the gym to suit each and every individual needs.  

As I did before on my previous gym blog, I asked one of the coaches Noel who I work very well with each week to. write me a few words that how he feels about how I am getting on in the gym. Noel gave me the kindest response '"When I first met you it was my very first day working with alternative athletes. Craig asked me to work with you and I had the best first day in a new position I've ever had. I will refer to the conversation we had a few weeks ago, you felt more confident and wanted more independence to work out solo and I was so happy that you felt that you could have that conversation with me and that I was entirely confident that you could do that too. In 6 months you've gone from high injury risk to independent working and able to walk outside with very limited support, imagine where you going to be in another 6 months. In all, you're more confident, seem so much happier, stronger, fitter, more stamina and more capable, you are glowing brighter" 

Thank you so much for this lovely response Noel, you made me smile reading this.  Thank you for allowing me to use your words in my writing! Agreeing to Noels amazing words, I do feel fitter, stronger and more capable in the gym. I feel amazing, strong and focused  when I am working with Craig (Head Coach), Noel or an another coach. Working with a coach for a short amount of time during a session, builds my strength and confidence up to be able to let them know I am ok and allow them to take a step back from me and allow me to carry on working independently. I like this way of working because I can be independent but at the same time ask for guidance if I need to.

I really enjoy attending my adaptive CrossFit classes and I am getting stronger and more independent as the weeks go by. I'm so excited to go each week, as  I love being able to have a great workout and see all of my friends. Its just a great place to go to every week! I am grateful for finding this amazing place.  

I hope you enjoyed reading my blog, thank you!

Abbie xx


                                                                                                            



       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Over Yourself ... We're Only Disabled! Part 1

My Time With Whizz-Kidz