Get Over Yourself... We're Only Disabled! Part 19

 Get Over Yourself ... We're Only Disabled!

Hi my lovely readers, hope you are well.

Chapter 19

Is it ok to drink alcohol with a Disability?

When I did research for this chapter, I typed in “Can a person with Down Syndrome drink alcohol?” .  The answer? “As long as they are the legal drinking age, yes they can!” This is a great quote to open this chapter as it gives us a fantastic insight into people’s attitudes about disabled people drinking alcohol. 


Alcohol is something people get worried about when thinking about giving it to someone with a disability because they are concerned whether they can handle it or if they have the capacity to know how much they can have.  It’s about giving people a choice if they have capacity to make that choice and letting them decide on what they want to drink and how much.  I know sometimes people need to be told when they have had enough but they shouldn’t be banned from knowing what people their age are doing.


A situation has happened to me once or twice, when I’ve been having an alcoholic drink and someone’s asked me “Are you allowed that?” This made me feel like a child again and I was being naughty just for having a drink.  I didn't really want my drink after that because the person made me feel so embarrassed - I only wanted one drink.  I know the person was only being caring but I felt quite worried and shy about having a drink the next time I wanted one.


I know sometimes people with a disability get asked for ID more, as they may look younger than they actually are.  Often disabilities stop people looking their age and this can make it difficult for the person to purchase alcohol.  However, if the person challenges the buyer even after seeing ID, this can be unfair on the person.  This shouldn't be an issue just because they are disabled. 


People should be treated the same as anyone else.  Therefore, if they feel comfortable and happy to go into a pub and want to have a drink, this should go ahead.  If the person wants to do something like have a drink, this opportunity shouldn't be taken away from them.


Also, it’s about learning how to be safe while out and having a drink.  People can't understand what to do and what not do to without actually experiencing it.  In my experience, I used to find it hard to go into a pub because I always used to think that they were loud and full of rowdy people.  But I have been in some very lovely pubs that I have felt safe and happy, however, when the day is slowly drawing into night, the pubs get busier.  So sometimes it just nicer to go in early evening to miss the hustle and bustle but everyone is different and prefer pubs to be busy as they may like the atmosphere.  It’s about what the individual is used to and what makes them happy.


I feel that people with disabilities get babied a lot as they are growing up and they never see different experiences and this saddens me.  I am not just talking about drinking - there are lots of opportunities people miss out on because they or the people who are caring for them are too scared to try something new and exciting. Trying something new can be scary and often challenging but can make very happy memories and can help to improve independence.


If the people around us feel confident in taking a person out and allowing them to drink, this can make us feel confident and want to do more exciting activities.


Thank you for reading. I really hope you enjoyed this blog. 


Abbie x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Over Yourself ... We're Only Disabled! Part 1

A Year Of Adaptive CrossFit

My Time With Whizz-Kidz