Growing Up With Cerebral Palsy

 Growing Up With Cerebral Palsy 

Hey my lovely readers, I hope you are well.

I thought this would be slightly different to my normal style of writing, I asked on a Cerebral Palsy page on social media,  about any particular issues or interests that people had and I would turn some of the ideas into a blog. I got some great responses and 'Growing up with Cerebral Palsy' was the most popular idea and I was so invested in this topic as I have so many great memories and examples when I saw this suggestion. 

Growing up with Cerebral Palsy was no different from any other childhood, but I did find it difficult to understand why I couldn't do things that other children was doing, but my parents and my primary school made sure I felt apart of what everyone else was doing, even if it was adapted slightly. I think making adaptions to the activity. helped me to be able to join in and do things at the best of my ability. For example if my class was doing basketball in PE, I had a smaller post so I could reach the net while in my wheelchair because I was lower with being in the wheelchair. This allowed me to still get involved but it made playing the game slightly easier for me.

When I got slightly older into teenage years, I think I understood my Cerebral Palsy a lot more and started to realise what was best for me. I noticed that if I was doing well in the gym etc everything got easier, I enjoyed school and I wanted to do well in all aspects of life. However if I was having a bad time in school, I was demotivated to work on myself like get in my walker or go to PT. I'm not saying school triggered bad behaviour but if something was in my mind I couldn't see any of the good things that I was doing. I think with CP I doubted myself a lot and didn't recognise the good things I was doing.   
 
I feel that having Cerebral Palsy has made me feel much more grateful for life and who and what is around me. Because I learnt I wasn't able to do some things or learnt that some things may take me more time, I am grateful for what I am able to and feel proud of how I work out the best and easiest way I am able to complete a task. This has got easier as I got older as I know my limitations more ands I know when to stop when things are getting hard and I may require a different strategy or ask for assistance. 

I know with a child or a young person with Cerebral Palsy can cause parents or careers to worry or feel concerned about their child growing up. I know with having cerebral palsy myself, my parents always wants to do what is best for me and always looking out for anything new that will help me now and in the future. Growing up with Cerebral Palsy can bring a lot of information gathering and seeking assistance from professionals and other parents, this can be sometimes a mixed response as everyone can have their own opinion, so it may be helpful but can come across as criticism depending on the subject. But most of the time, people with Cerebral Palsy and their parents/carers are grateful for advice or support. Even as a adult now I still love receiving advice or support as it may be something I have never heard of, so sometimes I like to receive any type of support.

  My advice to parents or carers with a child with Cerebral Palsy is let the child to try their strengths, so that way they can gain their independence. Also celebrate the little wins as these can help with the bigger goals and help them to feel that they are making progress as this can help with moving on in a positive direction. It also can help with their well-being and keep them feeling positive. 

Growing up with CP hasn't been the easiest but with the right attitude and commitment, I have found that I can do things independently and work hard towards my goals. I think when I am positive,  I am able to achieve more and focus on my goals. Cerebral Palsy a part of me that I wouldn't change.  

I hope you enjoyed reading my blog

Thanks for reading  
Abbie 
xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Get Over Yourself ... We're Only Disabled! Part 1

A Year Of Adaptive CrossFit

My Time With Whizz-Kidz